Hi. My name is Andrew Perlot. I’m passionate about throwing other humans through the air, doing the things that keep me happy, having an energetic and healthy body, and generally rocking life. I’m a former newspaper journalist who now makes his living helping people recover their health and become more awesome.
I love helping others overcome the health and emotional problems I once suffered from, and I created Renaissance Humans as a guidebook for going from struggling to thriving.
Why My Story Might Interest You:
- I used to qualify as obese, weighing in at 220 pounds. Through diet, lifestyle, and emotional changes I dropped 62 pounds. And unlike most people who lose weight, I’ve kept it off for more than a decade.
- After suffering from ever-worsening digestive problems in my early life, I was diagnosed with the intestinal disease colitis when I was a sophomore in college. The disease made life unbearable, but I fixed it by adopting a simple raw food vegan diet based around fruit.
- I went from hating exercise to loving it. I thought runners were masochists when I was growing up because moving was so unpleasant for me, but after changing my life around I started running as far as 33 miles at a time and wanting more. Later my interests switched to strength training and partner acrobatics, and I packed on a lot of muscle and found a new passion.
- Along the way I ditched my weekly migraine headaches, back pain, and general poor health for a life where I almost never get sick and have steadily high energy levels.
- Because of my obesity and health problems I spent most of my early life depressed. Better health and a slimmer body didn’t suddenly make me an happy, though, and I spent years learning how to manage my emotional state and stay joyful.
How Andrew & Renaissance Humans Can Help You:
The world often attempts to solve its problems in an incredibly myopic way, and I think there there are better options.
If a person is overweight, their fix often centers around starving themselves. If they’re sad or their life is passionless, they assume that they need to rehash their problems again and again in front of a therapist. If their health is suffering, they look for an easy “cure” instead of seeking to remove the underlying cause of the disorder.
Often, these inclinations only intensify their problems. Both on a society and personal level, these mistakes are crushing us.
Having come a very great distance in fixing my own issues, I’ve got some interesting perspective in the several areas that really make an impact on our wellbeing, and it’s my goal to address those categories on this site.
We’ll be diving into nutrition & health, fitness, mindfulness/meditation, and lifestyle factors that I’ve got a lot of experience with.
Six Interesting Facts About Me:
- I vagabonded around southeast Asia from 2010 to 2012; I love to travel.
- I’m a science geek, and help fix peoples’ health problems by pointing out the most relevant peer-reviewed research, talking about my personal experiments, and referring to the many people I’ve coached through health problems. If I didn’t do this professionally, I’d still be neck-deep in interesting studies.
- I consider meditation to be the biggest productivity booster in my life.
- I’ve consumed a vegan diet since 2004, and yeah, I haven’t died of a protein deficiency.
- I’m the author of four books on health: Raw Food Weight Loss And Vitality, The Raw Food Digestive Tune-Up, Savory Raw Dressings And Sauces, and The Raw Food Lifestyle.